Building connections across the gender, climate and security nexus
The side event will be held online at 23 March 2022, 9:00-10:30 AM EDT.
The objective of this side-event to the 66th session of the Commission on the Status of Women is to:
- Discuss the way forward for addressing the gender-climate-security nexus and linking community-led initiatives to national, regional and international peacebuilding and conflict prevention efforts;
- Provide a space for interactive dialogue between Member States, UN entities, women and young climate activists and environmental peacebuilders, to share insights from integrated age- and gender-responsive policy and program approaches, including the relevance of cross-border initiatives and regional approaches;
- Identify concrete actions to increase support to women and young climate activists and environmental peacebuilders in conflict and fragile contexts.
This side event will seek to address the following issues:
- The role of women and young climate activists and environmental peacebuilders in conflict and fragile contexts. The importance of harnessing local knowledge and capacity to inform peacebuilding and conflict prevention efforts.
- The role of Member States at the national and regional level, as well as through intergovernmental processes (CSW; COP; PBC) and UN organs (Security Council) to operationalize the gender-climate-security nexus.
- The status of UN system coordination and policy efforts to increase integrated programmatic efforts in line with Our Common Agenda, placing women and girls at the center of security policy.
Link to the event recording (passcode: ^NQKqq69).