Asia-Pacific Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction
Australia is partnering with UNDRR to host the Asia-Pacific Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (APMCDRR) in Brisbane.
Hosted by the Australian Government and convened by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR), the 2022 Asia-Pacific Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (APMCDRR) will be held in Brisbane, Australia from 19 – 22 September.
Expected to attract up to 3,000 delegates from more than 40 countries, the APMCDRR is one of the most important gatherings in the Asia-Pacific to progress disaster risk reduction efforts. Participants include ministers, government officials, representatives of the private sector, not-for-profits, civil society, and vulnerable groups.
APMCDRR will follow the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GPDRR) in May, to be hosted by Indonesia in Bali. The conference will have strong links to the outcomes of the global forum and will focus these outcomes on the Asia-Pacific region.
The theme for the conference is ‘From Crisis to Resilience: Transforming the Asia-Pacific Region’s future through disaster risk reduction.’
As the Asia-Pacific is the most disaster-prone region in the world, the conference provides an important opportunity to review efforts to prevent new and reduce existing risks, and for countries and organisations to make actionable commitments against the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030. This is particularly relevant as the APMCDRR will occur during the Midterm Review of the Sendai Framework, which provides countries with an opportunity to assess where action must be accelerated.
UN Women is actively engaging in the following events leading up to the APMCDRR and in various events within the APMCDRR:
- Co-organized two Pacific Preparatory Webinars for the APMCDRR with the following topics:
- 'Investing in Inclusive Resilience and Preparedness' with the Shifting to Power Coalition, Thursday, 8 September, 09:00 - 10:30 BKK/14:00 - 15:30 FJT;
- 'Pacific Approaches to Gender, Disaster Response and Supporting Resilient Communities' with the DIVA for Equality, Tuesday 13 September, 6:00 - 8:00 BKK/11:00 AM - 13:00 FJT;
- Organized the Pacific Gender Experts Champions Meeting on 19 September 2022, 17:30-19:00 at Novotel Brisbane South Bank Hotel;
- Co-led the Spotlight Session on 'Gender Transformative Disaster Risk Reduction' with DFAT and UNDRR, on Wednesday, 21 September, 11:00 - 12:00 AEST, M4;
- Moderated the Spotlight Session on 'Addressing the risk faced by LGBTQI+ people and people with Diverse SOGIESC', on Wednesday 21 September, 15:30 - 16:30 AEST, M4;
- Co-led a Partner Event on 'Realising Women's Leadership for Resilience in the Asia-Pacific Region' with the Humanitarian Advisory Group, on Thursday 22 September, 13:30 - 14:30 AEST, M2;
- Presented for the Ignite Stage on 'Institutionalizing SADDD for DRR and COVID-19 recovery in the Asia-Pacific Region', on Thursday 22 September, 11:10 - 11:25 AEST, Great Halls 3 & 4;
- Coordinated with the Gender Stakeholder Group to support the 'Pledge Wall' that will be held in the Marketplace;
- Contributed to other side events, such as the Pacific Pavilion and the Australia Stand; and
- Contributed an Official Statement for the APMCDRR 2022.