Diversity in disaster risk reduction leadership
25 May 2022
This thematic session within the 7th Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction allowed:
- Showcase the transformative impact that diversity in DRR leadership can have on risk-informed development and resilience that leaves no one behind.
- Stocktake progress and recognise the skills, knowledge and achievements of diverse leaders that are building resilience in their communities.
This thematic session was guided by the following questions:
- How can diverse leadership drive progress in achieving the implementation of the Sendai Framework?
- What are the primary enablers to diverse and transformative leadership in DRR and resilience building?
- Amal Ridene - Young Climate Change Negotiator,
- Abel Walekhwa - Deputy Secretary-General, Africa Youth Advisory Board on Disaster Risk Reduction, African Union Commission
- Sarah Knibbs - Officer-in-Charge, UN Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, UN-Women
- Lizra Fabien - Executive Director, ARISE Dominica | Dominica Association of Industry and Commerce
- David Zambrano Maya - President, Community Risk Management Committee of Olón
- Noelene Nabulivou - Executive Director, Diverse Voices and Action (DIVA) for equality
- Elham Youssefian - Inclusive Humanitarian Action and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Advisor, International Disability Alliance
- Manuel Bessler - Deputy Director-General and Head of Humanitarian Aid Department, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), Federal Department of Foreign Affairs, Switzerland